"Pippa's Song", by Robert Browning

The Year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearl'd;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven-
All's right with the world!

Pippa's Song, by Robert Browning

Monday, November 15, 2010

Dragon Boat Racing

The profile picture now shows my son and his dragon-boat racing team in Melbourne, on one of the banks of the Yarra river.Which one is he? Well,he is the only Indian in the group.
For sheer rhythmic exercise,there is nothing to beat the thrill of dragon-boat racing.
When my husband and I had gone to Melbourne this year,Ashish took us to meet his friends on the team. They were in the boat, and had already finished a couple of rounds when we reached the bank.We were asked whether we wanted to have a go at it.My husband was a little hesitant, since neither of us knows swimming,but I was game. If I was going to die, I told myself, I couldn't have conjured a better way.We were asked to put down our signatures on a piece of paper, which contained the signatures of all the team-members. Ashish helpfully informed us that we were, in effect, signing our lives away. Such a delight, that boy, always an epitome of sweetness and light!!!!!!!!
It was eight in the evening,bitterly cold, almost pitch black,except for pin-points of light around the jetty-and a cluster of stars watching us with cold balefulness.After some time, we got the rhythm and rowed almost as well as the rest of the team;at least, that was my fond hope.There was no useless conversation,no wasted effort;there was no need of either.Save for the splash of the oars, and a sudden rousing cheer and a snatch of song from the 65year young Gordon,there was peace and tranquility.sometimes, one of the gulls wheeling overhead would give an indignant squawk and pretend to dive-bomb us. It was like meditation, effortless,heart-felt,epiphanous.
Afterwords, we helped to pull up the boat,(or at least, tried to) to the hangar, shook hands with everyone,promised to come again, and left.
I don't think I shall ever forget that night.
And the thought that stays with me, even now is, how far all of us go, to look for peace and joy: and how accessible they really are....if only we know where to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment