"Pippa's Song", by Robert Browning

The Year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearl'd;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven-
All's right with the world!

Pippa's Song, by Robert Browning

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Barrrrrrrrrrrrisssssssssta Blasssssssssstttt!

This is a sure-fire cure for depression of most kinds, including the self-inflicted kinds, even traumatic ones like falling in love with a creep, a worm or a crocodile,either the common, or the garden variety.
Take yourself off to the nearest Barrista, preferably alone,if you can; and order one of their Barrista Blasts.
It is a sinful concoction of rich,dark coffee,light,frothy milk,thick, piped cream in a couple of layers,beaten to smooth perfection, topped with a drizzle of chocolate shavings. It comes with one of those long, right-angled straws and a long-handled spoon.
Don't fall on it as soon as you get it.
Take a minute to wipe your mind clean of all thought, and I mean, all thought.
Then,look at the tall glass. Watch how the colours of the milk and the coffee blend with each other.
Take the long-handled spoon.Hold it at the very end, the tip.Now, very gently,dip it into the top most layer.
Gently,gently.
Scoop up a flake of the cream,with a hint of the chocolate.Put it on your tongue and let the flavours combine on your tongue.Savour it. You have all the time in the world.As it is, at the moment, when the world is treating you so badly, and you are depressed, you can avoid the world for sometime, can't you?
Then, dip the spoon right into the glass..and twirl it.Watch the coffee and the cream dart, panic-stricken, into corners, trying to escape.Scoop it up, then. A bit of the milk,a bit of the coffee,a bit of the cream and a bit of the chocolate.Close your eyes.Shut down all other senses.Except taste.
Ambrosia!
It always,always works for me.I have spent so many ecstatic moments here, that the moment I see the sign that says 'Barrista', I feel my mood begin to shift.
Long live Barrista! long live the Blast!
In fact, when my book, Fresh Cilantro, Stubble-Wrapped, gets published, finally, I think I shall dedicate it, at least partly, to the Barrista at Inorbit Mall,Malad.

3 comments:

  1. This seems like a fantastic recipe. Am going to try it out the next time I go to one of these coffee shops. BTW, does it have to be Barista or can it be some other place as well? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the cups and glasses of CCD and Costa's Coffee very much. They seem small, measly and ungenerous. I find those of Barrista more welcoming,somehow.But maybe I am prejudiced,too. I LIKE prejudice.It makes my day.Not pride,though.Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it :) It's not just about the coffee or the chocolate, it's the art that goes into carefully relishing it! < drools...>

    ReplyDelete